Second Round and Still Standing

The second operation has been as amazing as the first, but second time round everyone on the ophthalmological team recognised me and there were smiles and greetings from them as I passed from one to the other in the chain that is this amazing ophthalmological team before entering the operating theatre.

Having reached the sterile outer sanctum, seventeen of us were sitting on our chairs, all gowned up, hair-netted; socks on feet, and clutching our notes plus precious box containing the all important lens for transplanting, when the clinical assistant, who’d been responsible for sterilising the area around the eye; then applying several eye drops to dilate the pupil, as well as administering the first round of local anaesthetic to the cornea, looked at me and started chatting in English. The conversation meandered until he was asking me what I did before I retired because I spoke English so well and it was the first time he’d ever spoken to an English person who spoke English he could understand!!!!  at which point, we were interrupted by two elderly men who piped up with the same observation, to which I replied that it was all part of my job as a TEFL teacher plus other things – then followed a further explanation of what was TEFL of course, since not everyone thinks about teaching English as a foreign or second language.

Anyway, before we could  get involved further it was my turn to be ‘done’ and this time I was determined to notice everything so was really alert and nosey rather than scared stiff and almost suffering a panic attack when the sterile sheet was popped over my face so only my eye was revealed. This time round it all seemed to take place more quickly and in no time at all I was being helped off the operating table and walking out when I spotted the little elderly Sri Lankan woman who was in a wheel chair and shaking so much they’d put a blanket around her shoulders, so I went up and gave her a hug, we smiled and I gave her the thumbs up sign, which brought another smile to her face.

Later, after my Sri Lankan friend  Nanda  helped me dress and I was enjoying a cup of tea and one of the Hemas  Hospital’s very ‘dainty’ (a la Lady Bracknell) sandwiche, with my fellow patients, while the chap who’d weighed us and popped in the first set of drops; marked the eye destined for treatment with a dot of Primapore plus cotton patch on a flap of the same adhesive tape, gave us a pep talk, which Nanda later translated to save the poor fellow having to give the same spiel twice.

This is now the second day and the eye continues to be comfortable. I am able to see everything very clearly and sharply. I can manage without glasses, but my varifocals, useless before, are proving quite helpful for using the keyboard of the laptop I’ve been given the use of during my stay here.

It remains a mystery as to why I have had ALL this amazing laser surgery, plus implants, medication, blood test, ECG, etc., for so much less than it would have cost in UK as well as doing without the predicted long waiting time had I waited for the NHS post-code lottery.

Ah well, off my soap box. Enough ranting for one day.

2 comments on “Second Round and Still Standing

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well Maureen.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s